Due to Covid-19, all current and future expeditions are suspended until further notice.

Adventures- Lissa Eagar

November 29, 2016 - 2016 Operation: Saktisali

Today was the day that we had to say goodbye to our girls that we taught. We had two groups of children that we taught. The Village children (kids who lived in the Villages surrounding the school) and the Main Day Boarding children. The Main Day Boarding kids are more… advanced? They wear uniforms and learn lots… I don’t know how to describe it at this current time. (I’m tired) 

Saying goodbye to the Village children wasn’t too hard. I wasn’t really able to connect with them because most of the time I was trying to get them to not punch each other in the face. 

I’ve learned that Indian children are very rough with each other. Constantly rough housing and hitting each other across the head if they say something they don’t like or if they are doing something they don’t like. And so… Little children like to wrap other little children up in blankets and then punch and kick them and laugh. It’s rough. One kid tripped another kid and the tripped kid starting crying. I helped him stand up and brushed off his bruised knee. Once I let him go he charged at the boy who tripped him and decked him in the face. And then he tried to punch the tripped kid back… It was an adventure. That is what my mornings are like here for Village school. So back to the last paragraph, it wasn’t that hard to say goodbye to them. 

Now saying goodbye to the Main Day Boarding girls… That was one of the hardest things I’ve done. I would spend a couple of hours a day with those 20 girls, really getting to know them. I taught Level 8 (It means they are on Level 8 of English reading). Those girls are from 15-17 years old. So around my age. They spoke good English. Not excellent but good, so we were able to carry on lots of conversations. They learned a lot about my family and boyfriend at home. They learned a lot about my life in America. And I learned a lot about their families and their lives here in India. Even though I only spent Monday-Monday with them, I will forever love them. And I am most definitely going to visit them again one day. 

We went through our day trying to avoid the “we are leaving today” talks. When my team (blue team) arrived we found only 2 of our 20 girls. And when I asked Arpita, one of the girls, she said they were gone and would be late. This scared us blue team members as an hour passed. We went on teaching our lessons, all filled with fear that the other 18 girls wouldn’t come back in time. (Oh, forgot to mention. They were taking some Exam at another location. This worried us that they wouldn’t finish in time. And then another worry was that all the Tata (what they call cars here) were on strike for some reason. So… Nobody was really driving anywhere. You were stuck unless you walked or biked, which a lot of people did.) As an hour passed, and lunch was near, I looked up to Anita (another girl. One that I connected with a lot), running in. Blue team saw them starting to pile in, running for us, and we all ran towards them saying “You are here! You came!” full of happiness. 

I wasn’t able to get up from sitting on the ground before Anisa ran into my arms hugging me… Crying… She knew that this was goodbye day. They all knew it was goodbye day so they all ran to us, hugging us and crying not wanting to let go. Us blue team members tried not to cry but… after a few minutes of trying to stay strong, we all broke. We cried for around an hour or two. We tried to cheer each other up, but it was so hard. Knowing that we might not ever see each other again… I was able to get a lot of pictures of us on the last day which was really nice. 

(Almost done, I promise) 

As I was taking pictures outside a leader comes up to us telling us (Halt. I must explain something real quick. The leaders gave us an example of either ripping off the bandaid or taking it off slow. They said they were just going to rip it off for goodbyes.) telling us to pack it up and go. I wasn’t expecting them to be so hard core. I tried to hug them one last time, but we all got shoved into our Tata’s to leave. They came to the car windows to hold our hand, one last time, but they all got taken away. 

I’m not trying to be like ajdhflakjsdhflakjsdhflakjdsfh YMAD leaders, you bullies, I hate you. No. Not saying that. I just don’t like that kind of a goodbye… It hurts. 

Quoting Brie, a fellow blue team member, “My heart physically hurts”. 

I was crying, we all were, and we were all so mad. So full of rage. I nearly yelled at a few people. Some other people did yell. 

Ugg. So hard. We are going to tour for two days and come home. I’ll be seeing fam in four days. (five for you all and me… if we get super technical). I have hours of stories, many pictures to share, and fun stuff to show you. 

(P.S. note for family) Y’all better be at the airport. And Ian. And others if you so feel. He he he. I have a surprise for you… And you will be able to see it right as you see me. 

*Gasp* Did I chop my hair? Did I color it? Am I covered in Henna? Did I accidentally get a Tattoo? Or a piercing? You won’t know unless you come. (Hehe. Hope you feel super anxious to know now.) 

Love y’all! 


2 Responses to “Adventures- Lissa Eagar”

  1. The fact that it was so hard to say goodbye, lets me know how wonderful of a heart you have. Leaving a piece of it in India comes with the heartache. Lissa, you get it.
    Thanks for being you.

    See ya soon. Wonder if I will know what the surprise is???

    Miss Lynda

  2. Miff, no monkeys!! 😂 I miss you so much, but I love that you are having this amazing experience. I could never put into words how proud I am off you. Stay safe and continue to look for opportunities to serve! Hugs from all us here, 4 legged ones too!

Leave a Comment

Say Hello

Questions? Want to help us? Drop us an email!